Wednesday, September 01, 2010

It's a long way to the end of therapy, it's a long, long way

Strange to think I'm in therapy. We never like to think of ourselves as needing help, especially not psychological, I tend to think of therapists as residing in the world of rich New Yorkers (think Sex and the City) or the truly deranged. But here I am, going to see someone about my issues.

It's not a bad thing necessarily, a good therapist will help you take a good hard look at yourself and determine if you're going down a path you really want to go, or if you're supposed to take that path that's obscured by a few more trees. I'm looking forward to the journey of finding myself; if I was really honest with myself, I'd say I should've done this at least 20 years ago, but coulda, woulda, shoulda. Perhaps I wouldn't be as forthcoming if I had gone into therapy earlier on in life, but that could've led me down a path I wasn't ready for at the time. I'm grateful for my time so far in meeting the people that I have, making the friends I've made. So despite the mistakes and hardships, overall I'm grateful to be me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're at a point in your life where you're happy being yourself! Asking for help is never a bad thing, despite what mom and dad tried to tell us. ;)

Epicure68 said...

I'm not quite happy with all of me, hence the therapy, I'm more happy with some of the people I've met along the way. And yes, once again, I'm going against everything our parents have taught us.