Monday, February 20, 2006

Guess it's what makes us individuals

I just finished reading my sister's blog and decided to check out a random blog. Just my luck, ran into the blog of an ultra religious who thinks HP books are basically evil and should be banned from households. She said she felt a bad presence when she was reading it and was trying to convert a young girl over to Christianity.

IMHO, good is not just in religion but in all things that are not harmful to others. We all know what's right from wrong and if you need some organization to tell you, then you've got major problems. As for her feeling a bad presence, how about mind over matter? It's the case of the medical student syndrome; if you believe in it enough, you'll exhibit symptoms of the illness you're reading about. She believed it to be a bad book and that "witches" are all bad and therefore felt this horrible thing around her.

I'm not against religion, as long as people don't use it as a crutch of justification for doing harm to others. I believe there could be a higher being, not necessarily just one, and not the one preached by religions. There, my rant for a Monday.

Think happy thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a similar vein, there's an interesting quote that I'd like to share about religion:

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist

Anonymous said...

Did you also think, "oh sure, my sister surfs and finds Lisa Yee's fabulous blog; I surf and I find the head inquisitor of the Salem witch hunts' blog"? ;D

Epicure68 said...

You are obviously a better blog hunter than I am. I bow down to you, I am not worthy!!