Sunday, February 12, 2006

How to get yourself not invited over again

Went to a house party last nite, the buddy of DH's former band decided to get everyone together. I considered not going, but figured 1) it'd be free food and 2) it's probably good to give DH some support wtih people he hadn't seen in a long, long time and 3) not make DH the only non-believer in "the Truth" at this party.

People were very nice there, very hospitable but I'm horrible with names at the best of times, and not being introduced to everyone makes it even more difficult to figure out what their names are, and who's related to who in what sense.

The dinner fare was just burgers and dogs on the BBQ, and some salad. Nothing overly exciting, but hey, at least they tried. I was getting some condiments for my bun when I felt the candle underneath my hand getting very warm. I lifted up my hand, which was the one holding the plate, and realized I had set my napkin on fire. "Oh shit!" I yelped as I tried to put it out without setting anything else on fire around me. Probably not the best thing to say in front of a group of religious people, but in the heat of the moment, (pardon the pun) what do you do except go with your instincts? DH helped me put out the flames while the hostess moved the offending candles off the table. The rest of the evening, fortunately was less eventful than that.

The party was to get the old band members together to jam again. DH wasn't thrilled with it, and managed to get out of the hot seat after singing one song and sitting through a couple more. We managed to make our escape around 10:30, which is late enough for us. Plus, I had shared a bottle of wine with DH, so I was feeling it a bit. I think it's going to be the last time in a long time that we'll be getting together with those people again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By the way of an etiquette lesson, in front of religious people, the proper thing to have screamed out was HOLY SHIT. ;D Ok, I'm cracking myself up.